- Both ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 are known as generic management systems i.e. the same standards can be applied to any organisation, large or small.
- ISO 14001 is primarily concerned with ‘environmental management’ which in plain language means what an organisation does to minimise harmful effects on the environment.
- Since the update and re-launch of both ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 in September 2015, both standards have a high degree of compatibility and can be implemented either side by side or as an integrated management system.
- In brief, ISO 14001 enables an organisation to control the impact of its activities, products or services and continually improve its environmental performance.
- The intention therefore is to provide a framework for an overall strategic approach to an organisations environmental policy, plans and actions.
- The compatibility with ISO 9001 has been further enhanced as both standards are based on a ‘high level structure’ – This is briefly described below.
- Annex SL addresses the requirements for proposals for management system standards (MSS). It consists of 10 clauses.
- Clause 1: Scope
Clause 2: Normative references
Clause 3: Terms and definitions
Clause 4: Context of the organization
Clause 5: Leadership
Clause 6: Planning
Clause 7: Support
Clause 8: Operation
Clause 9: Performance evaluation
Clause 10: Improvement
- In future all management system standards will need to have these elements. Although this means that there will be duplication, it will also mean that they will all have the same look and feel. In addition, there will be less confusion and inconsistency because common terms will all have the same definition and there will be common requirements across all the management system standards, for example the requirement to establish, implement, maintain and continually improve the management system.
What Our Customers Say
Paul was so helpful with preparations for our first ISO 9001:2015 audit. He assisted with the transition from the 2008 to the 2015 standard and was there for both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 audits, offering advice and clarifications on our behalf. We honestly couldn't have done it without him!